Saturday, June 30, 2007

Move

My mattress is better on the floor. There must be a reason
People keep them in frames, storing them on springs (called
Box, but not I’m sure because of life inside a square).

When my parents dismantled my old twin, I think near
To the time I left for Reed, they were very careful to keep
The mattress from the floor. Everything else came off,
Except those gray insignia then borne across the halls
And laid to waste in a sarcophagus of concrete floors --
Bu the pall was purest oak. That is besides the point. Now

My own mattress is infected with a hardwood while I wait
To give the ghost of my old bed to a mother of twins
Of her own, and I hope, I am sincerely worried it will go
Meantime the way of flesh. But if there is no reason

And we raise ourselves aloft for superstition or tradition, still
I like better the touch and firmness of the earth: my dreams
Stay closer to the ground, my rest is both more homely
And sounder. I’ll need that for these last few days
When everything’s dismantled and must disappear
So I can leave: it is the closest I can get to being here.

No comments: