Thursday, August 04, 2005

Theodicy

Let me make peace with language -- I almost said (perversely) with the stars.

The revelation always knows a specific place -- whether it's Sinai, the Stoa,
Golgotha, Bright Mecca, Gaya, or Taos (not that these agree the least in kind) --
And occurs at a specific time. I count myself among those who will harrow the world,
And nothing pleases me more than my harvest. But I was false to the revelation,
We are always false to the revelation -- because the revelation can never be true.

Let me elaborate on that: we cannot know the revelation.
In order to know the revelation, we would have to become the revelation:
If there was ever a revelation, it was lost in comparison --
The language of God is written in a mortal script.
Not that I believe in these things, but I could, and I once did:
I am still myself in every way.

The night was about me;
I thought I was going to be eaten by a night
With the head of a black dog and the ruckus of a bark.
I looked up at the stars.

The star is a factor of climate --
This has ethical implications.

The sages knew it: you have to go somewhere you can see the stars.
Awakening of the will, the desire to realize this goal,
Then motion, a motion upwards, and one begins to shape things --
I mean time, space, and all the permutations thereof.

Up to this point one is still an artist.

But -- how I would have hated to hear this, how many will hate to hear this --
Art is the ticket, the vehicle, and the road; it is not the goal.
There is another kind of work that begins when we arrive --
Then one is among the wise.

"For what purpose?"
It is senseless to speak of that --
'The world of the happy is very different from the world of the sad' --
Until one has arrived, it is senseless to speak of a meaning in the journey.

The believer only supposes that there is an end --
What can he say about the Kingdom of God?
It was a mistake to assume that, if there was a City of God,
It was analogous with the earthly dispensation:
We must assume the impossibility of Dante.

This city does not have laws: a law is always the beginning of corruption.
For answer this -- do you pursue justice because that is the law,
Or do you follow the law because it is just?
If we were to mount a Defense of the Law (in court)
We would refer to the Will of the People, or Education;
When we have arrived, and the Will has become something entirely Else
And the People are an Other, then there is no Education --
Education is what we stumble upon; what will we see at the top?
It follows that if there is no law, there will be no courts --
And certainly no jail. Heaven is built upon the ruins of the earth.

We should talk of these things as little as possible, however.
I was simply chiding the faithful for believing that they can speak of It
And still have faith.

We live in this world, we must understand this world.
The destruction of language? When we say what we mean!
There is no need to worry about what will be:
We can know only what is. Now is the place to start:
That is the name of my book on boredom.

No comments: