Thursday, April 28, 2005

Propertius Elegies 1.1

Cynthia first seized a woeful with her eyes,
Me not 'fore touched of any lust.
Then fell my lights of constant pride,
And love pressed head with straddling buck,
Until he taught disgust for chastened girls,
The proveless! life without a plan,
And lacked me rage not through fulfilling years,
All more I felt beheld of adverse gods.

Milanion by fleeing never (Tullus) pains
Confounded Yasid's bestial harsh,
For now in lecher wand'ring Parthen caves,
He met and saw the hirsute beasts;
Then even struck was (splend'rous) by the wound
Of a Hylen ram and wounded did he groan
Through Arcan caves. So he could lord
The velocitous girl: only in love do prayers
And benefactions move. As for me

Late love no urges arts, nor 'members
Noted as before to trek the ways.
But you, to whom deception of deducted moons
And labor to sacers pray in magic hearths,
Behold, come now, convert our dominatrix' mind,
And make it so the more she pales upon my kiss!
Then will I believe that you can stars
And Cytaeanous streams deduce with songs.

But you cry lapsed but late, my friends,
Seek now help for no sanish heart:
Rather the beast we'll suffer, bestial fires
If only for the liberty that loves in rage to speak.
Bear through extreme gens and bear through streams,
Where nothing of a femme can know my way:
But stay – for you whom gods have nodded
Easy breath – situate and ever in bewatched lovings
Safe; in me our Venus drives these venal nights,
And nonce a time is vane kept back amore.
This (I beg you) evil shun: each one's care
Will loiter him, nor will it change a place
For 'customed love. Which if any will advert
His tardy ears from monitations, 'las
Will such a grief bring back my words.

No comments: