Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Kant

Even though I don’t understand any of it,
I keep on reading, even pick up the pace; further,
I cannot help but think there is a kind of virtue
In not understanding (not: in misunderstanding)
As if here too were a part of the infinite,
As if here also were encountered those things
That should and do but will not fit together –
At least to my mind: and perhaps this
Is the feeling of truth, the feeling that there is a truth
Apart from what is known – not the incomprehension
Nor what is not understood, but that there is something
Not to understand, not entirely to understand,
Something more than what is given or known, at all.

1 comment:

g-test said...

When I was young I would read books that I didn't understand about radio electronics. The first book my Dad gave me was the ARRL handbook, I was always tinkering taking things apart, rebuilding and inventing things. I loved the figures, facts, charts, pictures and words in this book and I pasted them all over my walls. I didn't understand them but was fascinated anyways. I read the books over and over.

Today, 35 years later, I'm an engineer and I have an understanding of the books yet there are new books that I don't understand. I love the pictures, words, charts and figures, I paste them on my blog, my web page and I read them over and over. I'll never grow up.

PJ