Thursday, July 28, 2005

Nietzsche All Day

In the day I collect myself:
Sunlight is a condition of my existence,
With the moon I grow hollow, pallid, and weak.
I thin out, evening is the death of the world,
When we are meager for nourishment, we are fasting.
That is why it is at once so repugnant and lively to have sex in the evening,
It is the smell of cooking flesh.

Why did I fight the sun for so long?
I took it as a scandal that anything could be brighter,
That anything could of itself possess light.
I was in danger of becoming the moon: a mere reflection,
Unwilled and solitary.

How does one become like the sun?
Through darkness,
By surrounding himself with such darkness that in spite of himself or because of himself, he must shine.
When he does this, he breaks through the darkness,
He proves that the darkness is nothing but the absence of light,
He destroys its being.

Sources of darkness:
Conviction, every form of conviction, good faith, and especially morals.
Morals are the luxury of those who are too cowardly or prudent for pleasure.
Since they cannot possess the beauty of this earth,
Either their own or that of another,
They posit a beauty which is neither earthly
Nor determines the earthly, but rather is determined by it:
The effeminacy of a reflection.
This feminine knowledge which is neither existent nor possessed is called literature.

Conviction, instead of recognizing literature for what it is –
Pallid, hollow, in short the reflection of a reflection,
Takes it literally, displaces it into the world, that is, truth.
For the man of conviction (the convict) the world becomes a shadow,
It ceases to be, and only signifies,
And hence we say it is meaningful.
The man of letters sees through the eyes of a corpse.

But for this very reason it is the man who lives in literature who becomes most real.
Surrounded by shadows he becomes a kind of light,
He produces literature. This is the place at which I have arrived:
I am not like those ghosts who only mimic the meanings of other people,
I produce my own meaning; I make the world reflect myself.
Because I have nature within me, I am the flow of everything natural.

The final mark of the author is that he becomes radiant,
That his light becomes the reality of things.
When I die, the world will cease to exist,
Just as when the sun dies, the world is also consumed.

No comments: